A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is stored on your device when you visit a website and contains information that is transferred to your computer. This information is sent back to the website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie.
- to remember visitors’ preferences, such as, font size, language choice or region; and
- to collect information about how visitors use our website, for example, which pages are visited and the duration of the visit.
Consent to cookies
In some countries, the law requires your permission to place cookies on your computer. As a visitor in one of those countries, you may consent to our placing of cookies on your device, in one of two ways (depending on the website visited); either you select the box to “accept cookies from this website” which will appear in a dedicated pop-up (a cookie banner), and you click on “Confirm”. Or, you continue to browse the site after receipt of a cookie banner informing you that by continuing to browse the website you consent to our placing of cookies on your device. In both cases, you can change your mind at any time by opting out (see below for more information).
Previous visits to ExxonMobil websites
If you have previously visited an ExxonMobil website, it is likely that cookies were placed on your computer at that time. The cookies previously placed will be similar or the same as the cookies listed in the table below and we use them for similar or the same purposes.
To delete cookies that we previously placed, follow the instructions in the section “Opting out.”
At any time you can delete and block all cookies from this site. You can delete cookies in most web browsers and you should be able to block cookies by activating the feature on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of some or all cookies. The "help" screen in your browser or computer user manual should tell you how to do this.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Cookies used on careers.exxonmobil.com
These cookies are strictly necessary and expire when the browser session expires:
- NSC_xxxxx: the cookie is used to ensure traffic and user data is routed to the correct locations where a site is hosted on multiple servers, so that the end user has a consistent experience.
- BIGipServerxxxxx: this cookie name is associated with the BIG-IP product suite from company F5. Usually associated with managing sessions on load balanced servers, to ensure user requests are routed consistently to the correct server. The common root is BIGipServer most commonly followed by a domain name, usually the one that it is hosted on, but not always.
- ASP.NET_SessionId: General purpose platform session cookie, used by sites written with Microsoft .NET based technologies. Contains information about the browser session and allows visitors to log into the website.
- astLang: records user's last selected language
- website#lang: stores a preferred language setting to enable localisation functionality in a site
- WT_FPC: Cookie set by WebTrends analytics service, used to track and report on visitor behaviour on a site for performance improvement; lasts 2 years
- SC_ANALYTICS_GLOBAL_COOKIE: This cookie name is associated with the Sitecore Content Management System as is used for web analytics to identify repeat visits by unique users; lasts 10 years