ExxonMobil's Public and Government Affairs function offers a variety of career pathways in both the U.S. and internationally, with exposure to operations and government relations, communications, media relations, issues management and advocacy, corporate citizenship and community investment, and more. As a new hire, you will work under the guidance and mentoring of senior public affairs professionals in a dynamic team environment.
Your responsibilitySpecific job responsibilities vary widely based on the assignment; however, some example job duties for a Public Affairs specialist might include the following:
- Monitoring the activities of and interacting with representatives of local, state, federal or international legislative and regulatory agencies
- Conducting research in preparation of sociological/political/economic risk analysis
- Planning, writing and producing employee, customer and marketing communications: electronic, print, video, exhibits or Internet/intranet
- Researching and writing speeches for senior executives
- Advising management on potential public affairs implications of business situations/actions, and developing and recommending communications strategies
- Developing responses and replying to news media questions; writing news releases
- Progressing community/philanthropic projects
- Researching best-in-class programs and projects
- Identifying and analyzing public issues with potential interest to the corporation; recommending and implementing strategies to address these issues
- Maintaining capability to respond to the communications aspects of an emergency; implementing plans when needed
ExxonMobil has a long-term, career-oriented approach to employee development, and as a result, employees benefit from ongoing dialogues with their supervisors in which employee input on both short-term and long-term career interests is solicited. Careers in Public & Government Affairs are marked by a variety of assignments in a number of locations and at increasing levels of responsibility, from specialist and advisor roles to supervisory and management positions. Public & Government Affairs professionals assigned to the operating organizations gain broad functional experience as well as an understanding of how Public & Government Affairs develops and implements strategies to support the business objectives of the corporation.